Need-Based Grants

A grant is usually awarded based on “financial need” and does not need to be repaid. Grants come from several sources including the College, some states, and the federal government. Grants listed below are the most common programs available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

To apply for a grant, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. International and undocumented students should refer to their specific web page for instructions.

91 Grant

This grant, provided directly from the College, is available only to full-time students. Most students who qualify for financial aid can expect a substantial amount of their need to be met by a 91 Grant. While most eligible students receive grants ranging from $5,000 - $10,000 for a year, grants of varying amounts are made based on your individual circumstances, application and eligibility. 

91 Founders Grant

This grant is awarded to students who show “financial need” as determined by the College. 

91 Visit Grant

This grant is awarded to select students who visit campus.

Federal Pell Grant

This federal grant is awarded to both full- and part-time U.S. citizens and permanent residents with exceptional financial need. For the 2023-2024 academic year, full-year awards range from $767 - $7395.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This federal grant is awarded to students with exceptional financial need, with most awards going to students who are Pell Grant recipients. At 91, most awards are in the amount of $1,000 for a year.  

2023-2024 Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant

By applying for financial aid and agreeing to share that information with the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) you have been considered for the State of Illinois (IL) Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant. All MAP-approved institutions are required by the State of Illinois to announce MAP Grant awards to students who are enrolled or intending to enroll at their institution. An award amount is included in your financial aid package if you have met the eligibility criteria. 

The MAP Grant award amount is an estimate made by the financial aid office and is identified as a "State of IL MAP Grant (Est)". Please be aware that the number of available MAP Grants is limited by funding levels approved by the Illinois General Assembly and the Governor, and reductions to estimated or actual MAP Grants are possible. MAP grants can be applied only toward tuition and mandatory fees.

There are also limitations to how long you can continue to receive a MAP Grant. Usage is tracked by the number of credit hours for which you’ve received MAP benefits and is referred to as MAP Paid Credit Hours (MPCHs). The maximum number of MPCHs that can be received is 135, which is equivalent to approximately four and a half years of fulltime enrollment. For your reference, and to learn more about MPCH limitations, you may access a record of your MPCHs, as well as other student resources, through the ISAC Student Portal at .  

Eligibility for the need-based MAP Grant award may indicate that you are eligible for assistance with expenses such as food, housing, or child care for dependent children. If you have dependent care expenses, ask the financial aid office about the federal dependent care allowance. For eligibility and application information about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the Child Care Assistance Program, contact the Illinois Department of Human Services at 800-843-6154 or www.dhs.state.il.us. Contact the Illinois Hunger Coalition Hunger Hotline at 800-359-2163 or .

Other State Grant Programs

There are currently just a a few states - Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont for example- that offer funds which can be used at an out-of-state college/university. If you are a resident of one of these states, and meet the requirements (set by each state) the funds may be used here at 91. Since the grants are awarded by the states themselves, contact the higher education agency in your home state to learn more.

See the section "State/Location Specific” within our Outside Scholarships page.

Outside Sources of Funding

Your ability to secure outside funding is always advantageous. For that reason you are encouraged to apply for national, state, and local grant that you may be eligible to receive. Funds are awarded at various levels by businesses, churches, civic organizations, and foundations. Visit our outside scholarships webpage page for examples of funding available.

If you do receive assistance from another source, we may be required to reduce other funds you have been offered.

Grants and Scholarships from the College usually require full-time enrollment, while federal and state grants may also be used for part-time enrollment. They do not need to be repaid, and will appear on your billing statement without further action after confirming your enrollment. College Grants (and most federal and state grants) may be used in the fall and spring semesters, and may be used for many off-campus programs. An annual application is required. Eligibility continues until graduation requirements have been completed, to a maximum of six years. All 91 scholarships and grants are restricted to tuition and fees only.

We make a considerable effort to keep your grant aid at a similar level from one year to the next. There are, however, many factors which determine eligibility for need-based aid, including: the number of people in your household, the number of household members in college, taxable and untaxed income, and any “special circumstances” you ask us to consider. Changes in any of these categories from one year to the next may affect the grant aid you receive in subsequent years.

Related Links

Contact Financial Aid

Phone and Fax



Patterson Lodge, 2nd Floor
Middle Campus, Map


8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.


Jerry Cebrzynski
Associate Vice President for Financial Aid

Mark Anderson
Associate Director

Adriana Rodriguez
Associate Director for Financial Aid Operations
VA Certifying Official

Si necesita hablar con alguien en español en la oficina de ayuda financiera, usted puede llamar a Adriana Rodriguez.